11 July 2012

Feelin' Peachy Keen?



The two iconic front women.

Take a double bass, two guitars, a keyboard, a set of drums and two iconic front women, and you have Peachy Keen, a five-piece Cape Town-based act that plays 1950’s rock and roll with a modern twist.

When I first saw Peachy Keen perform live, they were opening for a band called Fire Through the Window at The Zula Sound Bar in Long Street.  I was rather interested when I saw these two young pin-ups plugging in their instruments and testing their vocal levels on the monitors before starting their set; it’s not often that you get to see, not just one, but two lead female vocalists on one stage simultaneously.

They kicked off with their latest single (and most recent music video) I Shot a Man Down. If I were a man, I would pay them to shoot me just so that they could write a song about it. Not only are their lyrics sassy and deliciously witty, their harmonies are pitch-perfect. Impressive, considering both of these dolls were playing instruments and dancing vigorously throughout their performance. However, these two powerhouse vocalists couldn’t have pulled the set off alone. Accompanying them was a double bassist, supplying a driving rhythm to all their songs, a solid but playful drummer and a talented lead guitarist who added that Southern twang to their music.

If you’re a fan of Johnny Cash, then Peachy Keen is definitely for you. Even if you’re not that into Cash, you’ll still most likely be a Keen-fan.

All I can say is that, if it was my band headlining a gig, I wouldn’t like to follow Peachy’s performance.


Here, check out the music video of their latest single, I Shot a Man Down,It's epic! 



 Written by Kristyn Rohm.

No comments:

Post a Comment